WCW Monday Nitro - Monday 02/16/98
- In Memory of Louie Spicolli, 1971-1998
- Our thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends.
- There was no major news in the wonderful world of wrestling this week.
- The only things to note were:
- RIC FLAIR RETURNED TO THUNDER!!!
- Shawn Michaels missed In Your House: No Way Out due to herniated discs in his back.
- Louie Spicolli was found dead in his home in San Diego on Sunday morning.
- No official word on the cause of death. For the story, go to MiCasa.
- Ever since Chan and myself have done the Monday Nitro Report, we have had numerous contributions from my good friend Matt.
- Starting this week, Matt is now an official co-columnist alongside Chan and Charlie
- Welcome to the muthaship "Bad Guy"
- While joking around at church on Sunday, me and Matt asked our friend "Jose" if he thought that me and Matt could make it as luchadores as long as we wore masks so no one would know that we were "whities". He said that he thought he did and led us into an interesting conversation. It turns out that he was good friends with the parents of today's luchadores. Rey Mysterio Sr., El Santo, the Guerrero's just to name a few. He may provide us with an interview for the page in the near future.
- Results of the Question of the Week:
- Oddly, there were probably 10 times more responses to this week's question regarding Vince and Easy E than last week's question regarding the foxiest lady in wrestling.
- The majority of the responses said that they would bitch-slap Vince.
- In a close second, "Nice hair" was a popular choice.
- This week's funniest response comes from firstname.lastname@example.org
- To Eric: "You owe me 20 bucks for hitting me with that metal plate, and $30 for the event itself. (Yes, I do mean Starrcade)"
- Question of the Week:
- Yes or No question: Do you think that Ric Flair really has won more titles that Syxx has had pieces of ass?
- Tonight's Vittles:
- On to the show...
- Opens in memory of Louie Spicolli (Louie Muccido)
- Footage of Hogan and Sting from Thunder
- Live from the Florida State Fair in Tampa, Florida
- Announce that Hogan and Savage will face Sting and Luger
- Hogan comes out for his usual interview
- Hennig and Rick Rude are back
- No Savage
- Talks about the C's and D's
- C's: Corporate gaga will not drive out the nWo
- D's: The dummy is the Macho Man
- Savage comes out and says that he'll beat Sting and Luger singlehandedly and then he'll beat up Hogan. He'll leave a little of Hogan for an apology and so Savage can spit on him.
- Hogan says that he will take care of Savage.
- Hugh Morrus vs Bill Goldberg
- Gee, I wonder who will win
- George Steinbrenner is in the crowd
- Tony asks Larry about Spicolli and Larry properly responds with "Let it rest."
- Jimmy Hart comes out and tells Morrus that it's an offer he can't refuse.
- Larry: "Goldberg has the look on his face like he came home to find his wife is gone with all the furniture!"
- Spear, Jackhammer, Match
- Video of Steiners win over the Outsiders
- Hall and Nash make a walk to the broadcast booth
- This should be good
- Hall begins to tease Larry
- Nash goes on an on about being singled out and proceeds to demand a tag title shot tonight.
- Nash to Larry: "You shut up or I'll unplug your dialysis machine."
- Footage of the A's and B's from Thunder
- A's=Anyone associated with WCW
- B's=Bret Hart
- Just in case you were curious
- Sick Boy vs Mark Starr
- Lodi throws in a few cheap shots
- Sick Boy wins via a move I missed.
- Hall and Nash w/Dusty Rhodes vs Public Enemy
- Larry: "I thought it was an elephant with an nWo shirt"
- Survey Says: WCW, which you should know by now
- It's still one more for the good guys
- Looks like PE has had a hip and table attachment
- They even spelled "PE" on the table with tape
- Johnny Grunge caught the toothpick in his goatee
- Holy Sh**!
- Nash picks up Grunge for the powerbomb, holds him outside the ring and drives him Johnny Grunge, who is laying on the table.
- Nash is escorted out in handcuffs and leads in an "Attica" chant
- Replay of the jackknife through the table
- Nitro Party Video
- Mean Gene interviews referee Nick Patrick
- He got turned down of another match...wah
- Didn't we hear this stuff last year?
- Mike Enos vs Barry Horowitz
- Oh boy!
- If Sean were here I know he would say it: "Mike *enis" (* = the letter after 'O' and before 'Q')
- Mike Enos wins with a powerslam
- In the back McMichael follows British Bulldog into the arena
- Disco with hairbrush in hand is holding back the Bulldog
- Fireworks signal the 2nd hour
- La Parka vs Yuji Nagata w/Sonny Onoo
- Oh Hell Yeah, it's the "Chairman" of WCW
- Hmm, I wonder who will do the job?
- Don't worry, La Parka will get his chairshots in!
- Cool, La Parka with a high flying move!
- Well, it was a crossbody from the top rope to the floor, but when was the last time you saw La Parka do that?
- Yuji wins with the Nagata Lock after Disco runs in and gives La Parka the Chartbuster.
- Hogan's comments on Hart from Thunder
- Hogan: "If I stoop so low to have to find you in Canada, I'll do it."
- Nitro Girls dancing in chairs
- Reminds me of "Derriere's" in Myrtle Beach
- Kidman vs Ultimo Dragon
- They started Ultimo's music when Kidman came out
- Oops! I bet Uncle Eric's pissed
- Kidman keeps scratching his face
- Has he been hangin' with the commissioner, er, Piper?
- Tony: "Stay tuned, anything can happen on Nitro"
- Uh, when RAW is pre-empted by a dog show, I don't think Eric cares about the quality of Nitro.
- Some kid was wearing a Hooter's shirt which reminds me....
- Our local Hooters has Nitro parties now. If anyone on the staff wants to fill in for a Nitro, Chan, Matt, and myself will be glad to post a Hooters/Nitro Report! :-)
- Ultimo Dragon goes for the Dragon Sleeper, but Kidman continues to break the hold.
- Ultimo finally gets his Sleeper locked on for the win.
- Talk about DDP and Chris Benoit for Superbrawl
- Mean Gene interviews US Champ, Diamond Dallas Page
- Gene said "competitive" about 10 times in the intro.
- I guess that is DDP's cue to talk about Benoit's competitiveness.
- DDP wants Benoit all "jacked up"
- Says that they need to take out Saturn and Raven
- DDP, "This Thursday on Thunder, DDP and Benoit vs Ben, oh, Saturn and Raven"
- Raven jumps in the ring and they ring the bell, Saturn jumps in and Benoit runs in.
- A promo for one of my favorite movies, Jaws!
- Footage of Meng turning on Barbarian during Thunder
- Meng vs Barbarian w/Jimmy Hart
- Nice hair weave
- I have a feeling that this will be a clubbering brawl.
- Meng: "Af-Uf" Barbarian: "Uf-Af"
- Jimmy Hart breaks the chair over Meng's head
- Barbarian wins after 4 kicks to Meng's head
- Oh yeah Hey Bill, (Subliminal) Bruise Cruise!
- Nitro Girls, where's the new one?
- Oh yeah, sequin tops and black pants
- Saturn vs Disco Inferno, wait no, Rick Martel
- Disco is nailed from behind by La Parka
- La Parka is 10x better than John Travolta
- Rick Martel wants the match
- Maybe Martel and the Z-man should join forces
- Two 40 years old men who still think they are God's gift to women.
- What they don't know is that me and Matt are God's gift to women.
- I saw "The Wedding Singer" Saturday night on a blind date and Billy Idol had a small part in the end.
- I wanted to start "Lodi" chants
- Riggs pearl harbors Martel so Saturn can apply the Rings of Saturn for the win.
- Curt Hennig w/Rick Rude vs Bobby Eaton
- Heenan: "Well, you know Hogan's not as dumb as I wanna think he is..."
- Tony: "This Rude/Hennig team.."
- Ironic since Hennig is widely known for being rude
- Hennig wins on his second attempt at the Hennigplex
- I guess they finally dropped the title of the Fisherman Suplex
- Wade Boggs is in attendance tonight
- Fireworks for the 3rd and final hour
- "Pretty Boy Redneck" Buff Bagwell and Scott Norton (Vicious and Delicious) vs The Steiners w/Ted DiBiase
- Could we see a heel turn tonight for either Rick or Scott?
- Nah, probably at Superbrawl
- Buff is still flexing
- Buff rules!!! Need I say more?
- Buff: "Roof, roof, roof! How stupid"
- Me and Matt mastered the Buff strut last night
- Tony: "These are four musclemen going at it"
- Charlie: "Yeah, and the two neckless men are in the ring"
- Scott Steiner and Scott Norton in case you were wondering
- Rick has oddly been in the match for the majority of the time
- Rick hits Buff with the Bulldog, until, oh, well...A bunch of nWo guys are in the ring.
- Steiners win via DQ
- Rick Martel vs "The Breakdancer" Booker T
- Tony is still questioning whether Martel can fight after being pearl harbored by the Flock
- Uh, Tony, didn't Martel get thrown through a "glass" door on a recent Thunder and still make his match?
- A little bit of jawin' before the match
- Maybe it should be booked as an "English vs Jive" match
- "Jus' chill blood" a la the movie "Airplane"
- Booker T starts a "Martel Sucks" chant
- Referee Jimmy Jet was knocked out
- Saturn runs in to nail Saturn, but Booker T hits Saturn with his knee, injuring it.
- Martel applies the Quebec Crab for the win and becomes the new TV Champ.
- Something tells me that Martel won't offer Booker T a rematch for the title.
- Nitro Girls again in, uh, very nice outfits that I won't even try to describe.
- Ooh, there's Spice, Chae, and the new chick
- Tony: "We just love the Nitro Girls" Bobby: "Uh, uh huh"
- Mean Gene interviews Bret "The Hitman" Hart
- Tony with a low blow to Vince: "Bret is where he is treated with respect, where he should be, WCW"
- Hart is going to tell us about Hogan
- Hogan blames the nWo's problems on Hart
- Hart: "Hogan, you don't have to come to Canada, I'll come down here"
- Says that Hogan has been running from him for years
- Cameras fade back and we see Bryan Adams
- Brian Adams tells Bret that he will watch his back
- Holds Bret for Hennig, Buff, and others to pearl harbor Bret
- The long awaited new member of the nWo
- Here comes the NATURE BOY and he is whuppin ass and playing the "nutcracker"
- Bret and Ric shake hands.
- Mean Gene interviews JJ Dillon
- Oh No!
- Dillon brings out Martel, Booker T, and Saturn
- The match was supposed to be Booker T vs Saturn
- Changed to Martel vs Booker T
- The champ will come back later at Superbrawl to fight Saturn
- Eddie Guerrero/Chris Jericho vs Chris Benoit/Dean Malenko
- Sign: "I'm a Jerimaniac
- Note to WCW Bookers: Keep these 2 teams together and feuding for a long time
- I'm cringing after hearing the vicious exchange of chops by Benoit and Guerrero
- Jericho pets Eddie's back when he is beaten down in his corner
- Jericho tries to wrestle with the belt
- Four of the hardest workers in the business.
- Definitely was and will be the best match of the night
- In an interesting twist, Dean applies the Liontamer to Eddie in an attempt to mock Jericho
- Eddie hits the Froggie on Malenko and Benoit hit Eddie with the diving headbutt
- Malenko wins when he applies the Texas Cloverleaf to Jericho. Jericho plays the wimpy heel and taps out before Malenko even turns him over.
- Bischoff is out for an interview
- Bischoff points out a fan's Braves hat
- I guess he wouldn't like my New York Knicks hat
- Easy E graciously informs us that Big Kev was fined $50,000.
- Tells the fans to bite him
- Hogan had to write a $50,000 check, so he'll be here in a few
- I guess Hogan was tardy because he was shining his "big guns" with Absorbine Jr.
- Eric Bischoff: "Put an Easy E smile on your face..."
- Vince McMahon look alike, Michael Buffer, is here to announce the main event
- Hollywood Hogan/Randy Savage vs Sting/Lex Luger
- Sting and Lex come out to the dreary music
- Savage pearl harbors Luger and Hogan pearl harbors Sting
- I guess they were pressing for time so they skipped Hogan's eternity-long entrance
- It looks like Terry Boella really does not want to put Sting over
- Savage reached out to Hogan for a tag, but Hogan was too busy conversing with Easy E to tag in
- Savage gets pissed, so he slaps Hogan's back and Ref Pee Wee Anderson acknowledges the tag
- Hogan just did 3 elbow drops in the time it takes him to do the Leg Drop of Doom
- Speaking of which, Hogan misses the LDOD
- Sting hits 2 Stinger Splashes and applies the Scorpion Deathlock to Hogan.
- He pulls away b/c of nWo interference
- Tony: "You know what it is, it's nWo vs WCW?"
- Well duh you idiot. You've been saying it for a year and a half now
- Sting, Luger, Flair, and Hart clear the ring as we fade to black
- Surprisingly a pretty good Nitro while going unopposed by RAW.
- Until next time, this is Charlie signing out for the trio of Chan, Charlie, and Matt.
Brian K. sends the following arena report:
I just attended Nitro in Tampa. Here are some of the details.
My friend Matt and I had two of our three signs taken away by a Keystone Cop.
One said Flock You, and the other said Bubba Kicks Ass (Bubba being Bubba The
Love Sponge, a local radio DJ). About 20 signs were taken away that I saw. One
being my favorite which said Eric Bischoff takes it up the @$$. We did get to
keep our Give Kidman A Belt sign though. You could see both of us almost all
night long about seven rows up and near the aisle. I was wearing a grey shirt
and black Bud cap and Matt was wearing a #95 steelers shirt holding up our
Dark Match had two guys (locals I think, I never heard the names) wrestle a
fairly short and dumb match.
Penzer does the no throwing of objects, etc,.
Hogan is booed loudly in the arena, almost deafening.
As Goldberg is coming out I leaned over to my friend and said this match will
last one minute and sure enough it did. Goldberg probably got the biggest pop
of the night.
The Sick Boy match was so-so, no one in the crowd got too excited over it.
Hall/Nash was next and from in the building the nWo definitely took the survey.
When Grunge was powerbombed it had to be the second loudest sound of the
Mike Enos-Barry Horowitz sucked as bad live as it did on TV.
Never saw the Bulldog-McMichael incident in the arena.
Me and my friend seemed to be the only one in our section who wanted La Parka
to win, and we were obviously disappointed but it is always fun to see the
Stone Cold Chartbuster.
Matt and I were both marking out bad to Kidman when he came out. We got his
attention and he saw our sign and he gave us a very discreet thumbs up. Made
though whole night worth it. We were totally disappointed with the outcome.
We were hoping to see the Raven/DDPoop match and were let down, can't wait 'til
The Meng/Barbarian Match was the only one I called wrong. I can't believe Meng
Never paid attention to the Saturn match since Disco didn't wrestle, but was
disappointed another member of the Flock lost.
When Hennig and Rude were in the ring we tried to get Rude to notice our
fingers forming the triple threat sign but didn't happen. I didn't get to see
this part of the replay but in person Hennig's shoulders were both down so
shouldn't they both lose?
During the break, Kidman and Lodi came over to where Boggs was sitting and
started making fun of him with Lodi pitching a fake ball and Kidman striking
out. Then before they came back, Kidman got Lodi's attention and showed him
our sign maybe he will copy it soon.
Steiners came out and I told my friend "Look, Scott has no neck" to which he
replied "Hey, you are right". Also reminds me of a sign that said Rick + Roid Steiner.
Me and Matt were both disappointed with the outcome of the Martel/Booker T
match. We got the First "Martel Sucks" chant going though.
The Bret interview was stupid and I kinda figured he would get jumped but
didn't expect Ric to come to his aid. Also, as we were standing outside to
get in we saw some guy in a trench coat go by but couldn't figure out who it
was then Matt realized who it was when he came out to talk to Bret.
The Guerrero/Jericho vs. Malenko/Benoit was definitely match of the night.
When Benoit hit Guerrero with the swan dive that had to be the loudest impact
of the night. Definitely a 5 star match.
Buffer came out and got a friggin' huge pop. What for I don't know...I think he
is kinda' stupid.
I think everyone knew how the match was gonna' end and it ended exactly that
way. A DQ.
Seeing as this was only my second live event and Matt's first we both thought
it was an excellent show with the only downsides being Kidman losing and the
typical DQ ending for the main event.
Anyway that's the way I saw it.