WCW Monday Nitro - Monday, 3/30/98
"Yeah, baby...Yeah, ba-GACKK!!!"
- It's that time again and the "Triple Threat" is back.
- We have some bad news to report....
- We would like to extend our condolences to Matt on the passing of his grandfather this weekend.
- Wrestlemania News:
- If you haven't heard by now, "Stone Cold" Steve Austin is the new WWF World Champion.
- Shawn Michaels put on an extraordinary show as it was obvious that he was grimacing in pain after every move.
- Two "things" up to Sable who showed an extreme amount of talent in the mixed tag match-up last night.
- She gave Luna Vachon a powerbomb and 2 TKO's
- The best match of the night has to go to Cactus Jack/Chainsaw Charlie vs The New Age Outlaws
- One word/object: FORKLIFT
- The moment of the night had to come when Kane gave Pete Rose a tombstone piledriver
- If you're in an unsigned band contact Frank at email@example.com or visit his site at http://user.icx.net/~ima/
- Frank and his staff will provide CDs, tapes, t-shirts, bookings, stickers, digital photography, and much more for your band.
- My good pal, Amanda, had a brush this weekend at the Lipton Tennis Tournament.
- She passed by Pete Sampras and Patrick Ewing.
- Sorry, I am a HUGE Knicks fan...
- "The Byaddest Myan on the Plyanet" Mike Tyson was also at the tourney, but she didn't see him.
- I thought about going to Thompson Boling Arena tonight for the party they are throwing for the Lady Vols on capturing their 3rd national title in a row, but because I love wrestling so much...
- Seeing "Ace" Clement and Kellie Jolley in person would have been a treat for the "navy" though.....
- Please, no comments on that one. Except from Amanda, of course.
- Since Chan knows players on both the men's and women's teams, I'm gonna have him set me up with Kellie Jolly.
- I will update you all on the mailbag in the next report...
- Sorry, but my printer is broke, so I forwarded all the relevant mail to Chan to print and he ran out of ink.
- If I told you that you would be referred to in the mailbag, I'm sorry, but it will be in our next report.
- If you were on AOL on Monday you may have noticed on the home screen...
- Charlie Chan says: "He who learns FIND will never need to seek."
- An ad for "Dumb and Dumber" is conveniently shown before Nitro
- Last week at Hooter's, me and Joe had a huge conversation about that movie. Let's leave it at that.
- Now on to the show...
- Footage of Hogan and Nash's argument on Thunder.
- We are live from Chicago, Illinois
- Chicago is the place to live IMHO
- Tony: "Yes, the nWo is here tonight"
- Nitro Girls in the ring with black pants and silver sequin tops.
- We only had one response from the Question of the Week two weeks ago.
- That vote was for Spice
- Including Chan's vote....two for Spice. Me and Matt throw our votes for Chae.
- I guess we have a tie
- Larry: "I see the nWo falling apart at their seams"
- Hasn't that been repeated in some effect for a year now?
- The announcers pick up from last week about how Savage wants to be at the top of the pecking order in the nWo
- Mike Enos/Wayne Bloom vs High Voltage
- Mickey J is the ref
- Sorry, but I missed most of this match b/c I had a phone call
- The Giant approaches the ring, then chokeslams all four wrestlers
- Giant: "Piper, you want me? You got me."
- I don't think that's the push High Voltage was looking for..
- Mean Gene interviews Roddy Piper
- Roddy wearing a Cubs hat is accompanied by Giant
- It's the old lady from Knoxville, wait, no just another lady
- Sorry, but I missed this interview b/c Sean is still talking
- Piper just revealed who The Disciple is...
- He took 5 minutes to list all of his alias' and for us wrestling nuts out there, his full name is Ed Harrison Leslie
- Announces a Piper vs Hogan match
- I don't think Piper will have time to spend some time in Alcatraz for preparation
- More footage of Nash and Hogan from Thunder
- Looks like they're going to make an angle with this Syxx thing
- Looks like they're bringing out some of the locker room truth now. There is legit heat between The Outsiders and Hogan.
- Nash: "It would be an honor, BROTHER!"
- If he would have only said something about Hogan's lack of carpentry skills
- Saturn w/Flock vs Fit Finley
- We'll have to do without Lodi's ringside humor for a while due to a broken ankle last week on Nitro.
- They no longer refer to him as Dave "Fit" Finley
- Mark Curtis is the ref
- Sign: "Lodi is my dad"
- Saturn wins with the Rings of Saturn
- Saturn puts his ugly mug right into the camera
- Tony: "That's one of Saturn's most impressive wins to date"
- Mean Gene
- Plugs the hotline
- Mike Tenay will have the inside story of a possible breakup between Nash and Hogan
- Man, Chicago has some good looking chicks
- Oh no, they're going back to the road reports
- This time they're sponsored by Starburst
- At least it's not from a non-existent Nitro Party
- Hollywood Hogan w/most of the nWo
- I can't get over Ed Harrison Leslie
- Hogan looks a little extra crispy when he flexes
- Got a pic of that one Bill?
- Hogan assumes that all the people chanting "Hogan Sux" worship Hogan
- Leslie has nothing on Double A when he draws his thumb across his throat
- Hogan refers to Big Kev as "Mr. Nash"
- Hogan tells Nash to find a partner so the nWo can see what he's made of
- Nash comes out to a big ovation
- Due to his new temporary residence, I don't think Hall will be his partner tonight.
- Nash tells Hogan that there may be many waiting to stick a knife in Hogan's back. But Nash is ready to shoot him right between the eyes.
- Nash says that he's already got a partner for his tag match against Luger and Sting
- Nash continuously mocks Hogan's "brother"
- Nitro Girls
- Tayo, Spice, and AC Jazz only
- For all of you Spiceamaniacs, WCW Magazine has a profile of Spice this month
- Irwin Mandel..CFO of Chicago Bulls is in attendance
- Chris Jericho vs Marty Jannetty
- Jericho comes out without Juvie's mask and without Rey's shirt
- Zack Morris, I mean Charles Robinson is the ref
- Mic time for Jericho
- "I want to dedicate this match to Dean Malenko"
- Dean's "quitting" may be legit because he wants to have time with his daughter, unlike the (lack of) family time Dean had with his father.
- Credit Scoops for that info
- Hmmm, this will be over in about 2 minutes
- Jericho is screaming, "Help me!"
- Jericho wins via the Liontamer in about 2 minutes
- Tony: "That's the most impressive win he's had in a long time"
- More mic time...
- Jericho proceeds to read off his 1004 holds
- Sasquatchauan Nerve Hold?
- Chan wants to market "Chanimaniac" shirts
- Any ideas for a shirt for Charlie?
- Back from a commercial...Jericho is still reading off the list
- Prince Iaukea vs Glacier
- Mike: "7.."
- Tony: "Shut up Mike"
- Iaukea threatens Jericho and Jericho screams, "give me my holds"
- Nick Patrick is the ref
- Iaukea wins via Northern Lights Suplex
- Nitro Girls in silver in the stands
- All kinds of signs tonight
- El Dandy vs Juventud Guerrera
- Does anyone besides me sing along with the Intermedia commercial: Juvies, Juvies, Juvies, Juvies........?
- Billy Silverman is the ref
- Many stiff kicks by El Dandy in this match
- Juvie wins with the Juvie Driver which looked like a botched move
- I love that Macho Man commercial
- Haven't you ever wanted to do that to your teacher. Well, I have done that to my dad. I put him in the figure 4 and he limped for 3 weeks
- Sign on RAW: "Chyna has a schlong"
- Why is WCW promoting "Lost in Space"
- The only thing worth seeing that movie for is Lacy Chaubert...the younger chick from Party of Five
- Kaz Hayashi vs Chavo Guerrero Jr
- I'm sure that you're disappointed that Chan isn't with us this week to give us his rundown on Kaz. :-)
- I gotta get one of those "Eddie Guerrero is my favorite wrestler" shirts
- Tony just said that the Hogan/Piper matches have been the best of all time.
- I wonder if any match in Tony's eyes has ever sucked?
- Charles Robinson is the ref
- Tenay: "Chavo has Eddie on his mind all the time"
- I've got something else on my mind all the time...at least that's what Amanda thinks. :-)
- Chavo wins with the Tornado DDT
- Chavo then helps his opponent up and raises his hand
- I can't believe they replaced the 1-800-Yes-Credit commercial with a commercial starring sock puppets
- What is this world coming to?
- Raven vs Buff
- This could be good
- Mic time for Raven
- Raven mentions his large vocabulary and impressive "dic"tion
- Raven was voted Most Unpopular in high school
- Page picked up Raven from the hospital after rehab
- It was Raven's shoulder that DDP cried on when he was let go by WCW
- Yeah Page, what about Raven? He spent three years in barbed-wire city. Page could have made the phone call to get Raven into WCW. Raven says that Jake told him that Page would turn his back on him. Quote the Raven, US Champion, Forever More
- Heenan: "I've got help for him, shock treatment"
- Buff: "It's good he's got his shirt on with Buff Daddy out here"
- Buff has some new pants.
- The crowd is 100% Buffites
- DDP chases Raven through the stands
- DDP goes to the broadcast table and can't grasp the concept of the headset
- Admits that Raven did help him, but he also helped Raven
- Refers to him as Scotty.
- Says that Raven lived in a 20,000 sq ft house. He was pampered.
- DDP's mom had 3 kids (while holding up four fingers) before she was 20 and she was divorced.
- Anyone know if that's true? Email us
- DDP claims that hardship is working the 9-5 job that he hates and goes to another job. A man who runs out on his wife leaving her with 3 kids
- I hear people barking....must be my ex-girlfriend
- Here we go....1-800-Yumm-mmy
- Disco Inferno vs "I Got Crabs" Kidman
- Flashback from "Airplane" when fireworks explode as Disco does his point thing
- If you live in Chattanooga and are going to the show, contact me, Matt, and Chan because we want to get tickets.
- Mark Curtis is the ref
- Disco hip-tosses Kidman to the outside
- The only thing I can hip toss is the Sting wrestling buddy I got when I was 12
- Whoa, that's the first chick I've seen as a photographer for WCW. Well, the first one I've seen that looks good.
- Heenan: "That'll slow you down" after an atomic drop on Kidman
- Disco wins with a Piledriver
- Impressive match between these two
- Hour #3 at 9:56
- It's scary to hear Tony refer to Nash as "Big Sexy the Giant Killer"
- I say it as a joke for humorous context, but Tony.....
- Curt Hennig w/Rick Rude vs Jim Niedhart
- How many times are we gonna hear about the lifetime friendship between the two...
- Rude makes his way to the broadcast area
- Rude: "You're not qualified to handle this kind of business Tenay"
- Is Neidhart ever going to get over with the crowd?
- Scott Dickinson is the ref
- While in the midst of a bear hug, Hennig waves in Rude for a double team on Hart
- Rude handcuffs Neidhart to the 2nd rope
- As long as those cuffs aren't fuzzy......
- Bulldog comes in to make the save, then Brian Adams gives Bulldog a vicious piledriver.
- Rude then chokes Neidhart with his belt
- Heenan: "He needs to wear glasses to keep his eyes in"
- Only Bobby..
- Bret Hart runs in to make a save. I guess only one Hart can take care of the former WWFers
- Bret: "Nobody knows better than I do what it's like to get screwed..."
- I think Jenna Jameson does
- Booker T. vs Chris Benoit
- White boys raisin' the roof....
- I don't think so
- If a white boy is gonna dance, it better be "The White Boy"
- I'll be very upset if Benoit has to job yet again
- nWo flunkie ref Nick Patrick is in charge of this bout
- I've never seen breakdancing used as a reversal
- Booker T. is now announced as being from 110th Street.
- ala "Across 110th" by Bobby Womack
- That could be the proper ring music for me and Matt
- This song can be found on the "Jackie Brown" Soundtrack
- Benoit gives a very nice Release German Suplex
- Painful surfboard by Benoit
- Random Note: Benoit has had the same hair length all three years I have seen him wrestle.
- RAW Note: Syxx is on TV. He says that Nash and Hall would be with DX if they weren't being held by hostage by WCW. "So put that in your pipe Eric Bischoff and smoke it"
- Booker T hits the Harlem Sidekick, but doesn't go for the cover.
- Benoit avoids a missile dropkick and slaps on the crossface, but Booker T is in the ropes
- Not another friggin' time limit draw
- The whole city of Chicago along with C&C&M are chanting "Bullsh*t"
- Booker T retains the TV Title
- Heenan is already marking out for Goldberg
- If anyone is going to RAW in Nashville, let me know about ticket info. I've got a group that wants to go
- Nitro Girls in jeans and neon tops
- Mmmmm, Chae, Spice, Whisper, and Fyre.
- Ugh, Kim and AC Jazz
- Ultimo Dragon vs Psychosis
- RAW quote: JR: "Come on Mero, why don't you show a little class?" Lawler: "Come on Sable, why don't you show a little......."
- Ray Traylor vs Bill Goldberg
- HUGE pop for Goldberg
- To see The Unofficial Bill Goldberg site email Toothpick@aol.com
- 66 consecutive wins. Will #69 be against Liz?
- Very audible "Goldberg" chants
- I wonder who will get a bigger pop in a Flair vs Goldberg match?
- I'm afraid to ask 'cause Flair is the man
- Very stiff clothesline by Goldberg
- Billy Silverman is the ref
- Traylor hits the sidewalk slam, but Goldberg jumps up and nails the spear
- Jackhammer.....It's so loud I can't even hear the announcers
- Not that that's a bad thing
- Saturn tries to rush the ring, but he is held back by The Flock
- Tony, Heenan, and Tenay are marking big time
- I thought Tony only marked out for Sting
- Oh my gosh! Utah is leading Kentucky 56-60
- Michael Buffer may have double duty tonight
- Sting/Luger vs Nash/mystery partner
- Savage is my guess
- Big Kev is supporting the East Side. But Hall supports the West Side?
- Kev was announced as from Scottsdale, Arizona.
- "The Lab Experiment" Lex Luger and "The Peroxideless" Sting enter and Savage attacks Sting from behind
- Am I good or what?
- Savage piledrives Sting to the floor as Kev is manhandling Luger.
- "Chuck" Robinson is the ref
- Has anyone else out there noticed how Sting receives almost no reaction unless he makes a "surprise" drop from the rafters?
- I guess Liz didn't want to bounce to the ring with Savage tonight
- ala Jim Carrey from "LiarLiar".....
- If I was a boxer, I'd just........
- Ooh, there's Liz
- Sting gives Savage 3 atomic drops. At least it wasn't Luger missing all 3 atomic drops on Savage by at least 5 feet
- Hogan comes down and Sting ends his short attack
- Luger puts Nash in the rack until E. Harrison Leslie breaks the hold, gives the LesStunner, and puts Nash on Luger for the 3 count.
- Somebody hits Luger with a cup of ice right in the crotch.
- Hogan vs Piper begins from there as Piper ran in near the end
- Hogan and Disciple drag Piper to the back.
- Now for the proper entrance....
- Well, maybe not. Hogan's music began and then ended.
- Piper and Hogan fight back down the entryway to the ring.
- Disciple interferes and Piper works on him
- Nick Patrick is the ref
- Piper and Hogan finally make it to the ring
- Come on Hogan, you're not going to hurt a crack addict
- punch, scratch, punch, scratch,.......
- Piper does his signature two-finger eye poke
- Piper throws Hogan into The Disciple
- Oh Sh*t!!! Hogan just sold those punches with a "Flair Flop"
- That's a new thing for me
- Hogan goes for the veteran move and gives Piper a low blow
- Piper gives the same veteran move
- Come on Tony you want to say it....It's the match of the millenium
- Maybe Piper will get punked by the whole nWo so he can be carried off on a stretcher babbling in Gaelic again
- Then they can bring those 2 people back on Nitro 2 months later to translate for us
- It's a sleeper hold, Disciple gives Piper the Apocalypse (it's the LesStunner in my book)
- Piper wins via DQ
- Big Kev comes in as garbage galore flies in
- Hogan goes to hit Piper, Piper ducks, and Nash is hit for his troubles. A shoving match ensues as The Giant comes to make the save for Piper.
- Kev tells Hogan to take his shot while he can. Gee, Hogan wants to save it for the pay-per-view.
- Well, that's it for this week.
- Until next time ala Smokey from "Friday".....Beezowwwwt!!!
Cubs Fan sends the following arena report:
- Before I get to this, I want to say to get on the a soap
box for a second: Arenas should NOT sell alcohol the last
hour of a show...sitting around me, there were a couple
of people who were totally trashed and yet, they could
still buy beer 10 minutes before the show ended. I'm glad
I didn't drive home, there must have been many messed up
- Ok, rant off...I liked the show, but I really felt like
it ended on a down note
- Sorry if all this doesn't make sense...I'm writing this
about midnight and in a hurry...
- Before the show:
- We got to the show, after an EL ride and bus
trip, at about 6:40...right in time
- No dark matches...between Nitro Girls (big pop),
Wildcat Willy (lot of boos) and Nitro being three
hours, I guess they decided to get rid of them
- Plenty of boos during Penzer's rules...they've
added a no laser pointer rule, but it didn't stop
- Penzer tried to countdown to Nitro coming on the
air all night, but he was consistenly off a few
seconds, so the noise died down before they went
- The show...
- When High Voltage vs Enos/Bloom started, my first
reaction was "Hey, this is a Worldwide main
event...what's it doing opening Nitro?"
- Ryan, the person I went with, was totally
confused when Giant came out...I had visions of
Prince Iaekua vs Alex Wright so long ago and
figured what was next...marked out...
- And yeah, I was going crazy when I saw that Piper
had a Cubs hat on...I'll cheer forever for him
- It shocked the heck out of me for Piper to name
Ed Leslie's name...did he mention the WWF
- Showing the Thunder highlights twice killed the
- Nash was very over as a face...the whole night...
- Chae was the most popular Nitro girl, from what I
- Before the Jericho/Jannetty match, Penzer said
that we'd be seeing a Cruiserweight title match
next...but I never thought Jannetty was a
- Jericho stopped reading the moves off (I found it
funny that every 3rd move was an Arm Bar) and
berated the crowd during the commercial
break...he tried to start a "Chicago Sucks" chant
right before the television came back, but got a
"Jericho Sucks" chant instead
- Speaking of 'sucks' chants...there was a
loud Larry one after he was introed and a
couple good "Hogan Sucks" chants.
- When the nWo music came up after Raven's little
speech, Ryan called it being Konnan, and I called
Buff...talk about two contrasting
- I went to get food during the Neidhart/Hennig
match, guessing the ending...
- Chris Benoit came out in Hitman Hockey Team
jersey...the one Bret is affiliated with...hmm...
- Both Benoit and Booker T got good pops and
everyone felt screwed by the ending...
- After the Ultimo Dragon/Psychosis match, Dragon
and Psychosis shook hands...face turn?
- I think at this point, the WCW people rolled out
the red carpet...I got my hopes up, thinking that
Flair was gonna be on TV...only the Nitro
Girls...I ain't feeling too happy...and where was
Mongo? You don't show up in your own city,
something's got to be up...
- Bill Goldberg got the biggest pop of the
night...I was blinded by all the flashlights
going off at the jackhammer...I still don't get
why this guy is over, but I understand that he's
- Sting and Luger got the heck beaten out of them
for most of their match...it was incredible
- The Piper/Hogan match looked bad...real bad...I
was sad for how bad those two had become...
- If they ended it with the Luger/Sting vs
Savage/Nash match, I would have gone home happy,
but now I'm just depressed.