WCW Worldwide - Saturday, 7/18/98
- Hey...I actually wrote a full report...
- You know, Harlem Heat still is my favorite tag team...
- Stevie Ray and his list of "top
contenders"...See, he's doing a nice thing
for WCW. All those guys that used to job to US
Champ Goldberg didn't have anything to do until
- This is all probably a stall tactic by
WCW...before news hit that Benoit was
hurt, rumors had him beating Stevie...and
my guess is the angle would be played out
where the title change was invalid,
because it Booker T didn't really get
permission (This is WCW, remember)
- Meanwhile, Booker T is not forgetton. An
intersting article about him has been on the WCW
about him. As you may know, Booker T likes
playing video games, and there was this great
quote about it.
- You know, Bret Hart should be ashamed of himself. Running
into cruiserweight matches and hitting people with chairs
for no reason....that's La Parka's gimmick, not his!
Stealing a guy's job while he's gone...that's just
- You know, I just now noticed that they finally cut
SyxX-pac out of the intro...took them long enough
- Silver King vs WCW Cruiserweight Champ Chris Jericho
- The fans are booing Silver King?!?
- And cheering for Jericho?!? Well, I guess it kind
- No indication if the Cruiserweight Title is on
the line, but Jericho is called the champ
- Jericho starts the match before the bell with a
hard kick and stomps down King
- Jericho with a headlock, whips SK into the ropes
and shoulderblocks him
- Jericho bounces off the ropes, SK does a leap
frog over him and dropkicks Jericho on the
- Silver King with some chops, whips Jericho in the
ropes and bulldogs him into the mat.
- After some kicks, SK goes for a slam but Jericho
reverses it into a face first inverted suplex.
- Jericho picks up SK, gives him some chops and
follows with a scoop slam
- Jericho goes out to the apron and splashes over
the ropes onto SK...he stole Roadblock's
- SK gets back to his feet, whips Jericho into the
corner and does a Stinger Splash...
- ...but since SK isn't Sting, Jericho moves out of
the way. Jericho stomps on SK
- Jericho whips SK into ropes, dropkick, and a 2
- Jericho gives SK a backbreaker, picks up SK and
whips him into the ropes again
- Jericho goes for a clothesline, SK ducks, catches
Jericho and gives him a stun gun.
- SK gets in a quick suplex and then goes to the
- SK goes for a moonsault but Jericho moves...and
Jericho puts on the Liontamer.
- Good Match
- Lee Marshall with Dean Malenko (w/ new t-shirt)
- Hey, Chicago people...Nitro #2 of the year is
here Aug 24. Tickets go on sale July 24th, this Friday!
- Jericho...belt...going to get you...
- Evan Kourageous vs Barbarian (w/ "The Mouth Of The
South" Jimmy Hart)
- Commerical after intros...good, I wouldn't want
to miss a minute of this match...
- "Score one for the kids!" :)
- Barbarian starts out by knocking EK into the
corner and beating him down to the mat.
- Barbarian whips EK into the ropes.
- Leap frog by EK, elbow on Barbarian (no effect),
running elbow (slight sell) and high dropkick
- When the old "Hit the big guy three
times in a row and he falls down"
move ain't working, you know it ain't
going to be a good match
- EK jumps at Barbarian, who catches him and does a
fallaway slam (as called correctly by Tony)
- Barbarian picks up EK and headbutts
- Barbarian grabs a hold of EK, and Gorilla Presses
- EK lies face down on the mat and Barbarian seems
to be trying to choke the back of his neck.
- Barbarian picks him up and gives him a quick
- EK gets back up, gets his some kicks and punches,
all barely sold.
- Barbarain stops EK with another headbutt and then
chokes him into the corner.
- Barbarain whips EK into the corner, tries a
half-hearted clothesline, which EK ducks, but
hits the Kick Of Fear as EK rebounds.
- There are matches worse then that one...but I
wouldn't want to see it again. That last
clothesline attempt was real bad.
- Nitro, July 6th...Goldberg...you know
- Just to prove that they fake some of the chants,
they play the recorded chant throughout the video
replay. What, are we supposed to believe the
people in the studio are so enthused by this
video, they're chanting for him?
- Starburst Road Report - Nitro in Salt Lake City this week...
- Reese (w/Raven's Flock) vs Mike Nova
- Rumor has it that Reese is getting another gimmick...
- Hmm, they only show part of the Flock when they're coming out and for a couple seconds after the match. I thought I saw Saturn as part of the group after the match...Kidman, Raven, Horace and Riggs were there for sure.
- Okay, now the fans are cheering for the Flock. What is going on this week? Heels Apperication Day or something?
- Nova (definetly not super, but perhaps from Hollywood) starts the match with a headlock and lets go for some chops
- Reese counters by pushing Nova to the mat. Now, he's choking him on the ropes.
- Reese whips Nova to the corner and knocks him to the mat.
- Gorrilla Press by Reese. Reese drops Nova and puts a foot on his chest...two count.
- Reese goes back to a choke...lets up and punches Nova and eventually kicks him out of the ring
- Reese picks up Nova on the outside and slams him into the ringpost
- Reese rolls Nova back in side, whips Nova into the ropes and misses a clothesline
- Nova tries to backslide Reese, but can't get him to go down, so he sort of gets stuck in Reese's arms.
- Nova gets pushed into the corner and smashed by Reese's shoulder.
- Reese gives Nova a modified belly to back suplex and gets the pin.
- Not good.
- Psychosis and Juventud Guerrera vs "The Chairman of WCW"
La Parka and El Dandy
- Uh oh, luchadore tag team match. Watch my play by play become bad, quick.
- Psi and Juvie are out first and are the faces in this one. Juvie gets a nice pop when he gets announced
- Oh yeah, it's the guitar music, that can only mean El Dandy and Laaaaaa Paaaaaarka!
- The Chairman gets a nice pop of his own, even though he's playing the heel. And, he gets in two chair guitars before the start of the match!
- Dandy and Psi to start. Dandy with a head lock, whip into the ropes and a shoulderblock.
- Dandy whips Psi into the corner, but Psi springboards back over Dandy as Dandy charges in
- However, La Parka was waiting and clocks Psi. And then Parka does a little strutting.
- Unfortuanly, while La Parka is strutting and El Dandy is watching, Juvie jumps onto the ropes, the heels turn around...double clothesline.
- Great, this must be a luche libre tag match (tags not necessary)...love watching, hate typing it.
- Tony calls the double clothesline "a plancha". Aren't planchas just moves from the inside to outside?
- Juvie and Parka are now the two men in the ring. Parka struts again.
- Juvie with a slap, whip into the ropes and hard spinning heel kick.
- La Parka gets back up, hits Juvie and pushes him towards the ropes and El Dandy. La Parka attempts to punch Juvie, but Juvie ducks and Dandy gets hit!
- Juvie runs, bounces off the opposite ropes, and tries to take down La Parka with a cross body block.
- La Parka catches him, and does his Carry Strut to the corner. He sets up Juvie on the turnbuckle.
- But when Parka tries to get up there, Juvie pushes him off and takes him down with a top rope spinning head scissors.
- El Dandy runs in as La Parka rolls out of the ring and knocks Juvie to the mat for a one count.
- Dandy follows that with a La Majistral cradle for a two count.
- Psi and La Parka get back into the ring, and Psi fights Parka to the corner. Parka is put on the turnbuckle.
- Psi tries to join him, but La Parka pushes him down. Second rope strut by La Parka (#4 of the match)
- La Parka gets knocked out of the ring, near El Dandy. Juvie and Psi start to go for a double plancha, but Parka and El Dandy move far away from the ring, so Juvie and Psi stop before they jump.
- Out of nowhere, a "Chair" chant starts up. Weird.
- La Parka and Dandy move back towards the ring and Psi planchas them both.
- La Parka and Psi fight on the outside, El Dandy rolls back into the ring to face Juvie.
- Hurrcanrana by Juvie, but Dandy rolls through to get a pin...2 count.
- Juvie Driver and we've got a 3 count.
- Cool match.
- Lee Marshall w/ Chris Jericho
- Marshall runs down Jericho as he enters
- Role model...paragon of virtue...true champion...
- Strangely, they talked as though Jericho wasn't champ and there was a conspiracy against him. Must have been an pre-taped one, even though they mention the Chicago Nitro.
- Jericho runs down the bad Chicago sport teams "The Bulls, the Red Wings, the Sox, the Blackhawks..."
- Fit Finley vs Chris Benoit
- Ooooh, cool.
- Finley and Benoit lockup, Finley pushes Benoit into the corner, goes for the clean break and then chops Benoit
- Finley puts on a armlock/hammerlock for a long time...
- Finley with a kick to the back...
- Benoit kick to the midsection, a backhand chop and whips Finley into the corner. Elbow by Benoit.
- Finley with an eye rake and then another.
- Benoit tries to kick Finley, but Finley catches. Benoit, taking a page from his WWF clone, gives Finley a great enzugiri.
- Benoit goes up top...diving headbutt...misses
- Finley with an elbowdrop, stomps on Benoit's back and smashes his head into the mat.
- Finley picks up Benoit for the necessary European ppercut and then gives him another.
- Finley with a chop then goes for an armbar, which Benoit reverses right into the Crossface. Tap out and Benoit is your winner.
- Finley tries to go after Benoit after the match, claiming it's not over and he didn't give up. The ref holds him back.
- Not bad. Could have been better if we didn't have that 30-second hammerlock at the beginning.
- Next week, we're threatened to see TPE, Horace, Rick Fuller and Goldberg. And if that's what they're promoting, just imagine what they're not telling us...see ya' then