WCW Worldwide - Saturday, 9/19/98
- Hey, yo...
- Um, this is a shot in the dark, but does anyone happen to
have (or know of someone who does have) a transcript of
the Headbangers speech on RAW Saturday Night a week ago?
- They get so little mic time, I just want to make
sure it gets remembered, I guess.
- I never got to talk about two things last week, so I
thought I'd mention them here...
- I did get my tickets for Nitro...they're on the
300 level (I have cheap friends), but they're
- Jim Duggan...you know, I just wanted to make
something clear...when I talk about a guy here,
I'm talking about what I think of his wrestling
character. Not his real persona. As far as real
life...I hope things like what happened to Duggan
don't happen to anyone.
- In other news, Justin Credible was undoubtly proved the
Extreme Icon. Yep. He ran Sandman out of town. Yep.
Forget all that contract stuff, he was just scared. Yep
- As Justin's number one mark, that's my story and
I'm sticking to it :)
- And, finally...Does anyone know for sure, when the
matches will run out? You can tell from the bunch today
that we are definitely into the last batch of
tapings...so it's got to be soon. We still haven't seen
everything (there's a interesting Horseman tag match, and
a rematch from Fall Brawl still someplace), but we're
- On with the big show....
- Starla vs Malia Hosaka
- Women's wrestling? What the heck?
- For those scoring at home, Starla is your face, Hosaka is the heel.
- Starla with an armbar takedown, by Hosaka locks here in a figure four sleeper
- Starla breaks the hold.
- Hosaka gets up first, whips Starla and goes for a
- Starla flips over her, and backslides Hosaka for a
- Hosaka gets up quick and clotheslines Starla to
- Hosaka follows by choking Starla with her foot.
- Nick Patrick breaks that up, and both women get
to their feet.
- Hosaka with what looks like palm thrusts and then
- Hosaka allows Starla back to her feet, so she can
use more palm thrusts.
- Hosaka whips Starla, superkick!
- Hosaka's choking Starla with her knee
now...Patrick breaks that up
- Starla comes up with a punch. Hosaka comes back
with a stronger one, knocking Starla down.
- Hosaka whips Starla in to the corner, but it's
reversed by Starla, but Hosaka re-reverses it.
- Hosaka kicks Starla in the corner
- Starla fights back with a chop, whips Hosaka into
the ropes, sidewalk slam!
- Starla with a vertical suplex, and a Northern
Lights Suplex for 2!
- Starla punches Hosaka , whip, misses the
- Hosaka bounces off the ropes, 'rana for the three
- Lee Marshall hyping Nitro in Chicago, October 12th
- Special Guest: The Innovator, Kanyon.
- Marhsall talks about his ability, and ask why he hangs with Raven.
- Kanyon says the announcers and the fans don't care...he's been around for three years, and no one cared but Raven.
- Larry and Tony talk up Halloween Havoc, without even knowing one match
- The Pit Crew (Chad Fortune and Dale Toreberg) vs Disorderly Conduct
- About time they got here...the Pit Crew are wearing pit outfits to the ring.
- DC attacks before the bell, but TPC kick and punch their way out.
- Tough Tom and Dale end up being the legal men...Tom with an armbar
- Dale punches Tom to get out and applies his own armbar. Tag to Chad.
- Chad comes in and arm bars Tom. He then lets go, punches Tom and slams him to the mat
- Tom tags out to Mike
- Mike comes in and tries to whip Chad, but that's reversed.
- Drop toe hold/elbow drop combo by the Pit Crew, Chad gets a two count till Tom comes back in.
- Chad goes for sleeper, jawbreaker by Tom, Tom goes for a double underhook
- But's its reversed into a side belly-to-belly suplex by Chad, who tags to Dale
- Which causes the mandatory "All Heck Breaks Loose" segment of a tag match...
- Pit Crew teams on Tom with a side saulto/neckbreaker combo, for the three count.
- Hmm...for their first time out, they didn't look bad. They've got the size and look to be believable...but I think they could could stand to learn a few more moves. And the Pit Crew outfits look UGLY, IMO.
- Jerry Flynn vs Barry Horowitz
- (Insert refernce to the dreaded WCW "Open
Door" Policy here)
- Lockup, Horowitz takes down Flynn and goes for a
quick pin. 1 count, unsurprisingly.
- Both men up...and stall...stall...
- Lockup again, and Horowitz does this modified crotch slam, I think. I'm not sure what the heck that was...
- Flynn up quick, pushes Horowitz into the corner and gets his kicks in.
- Flynn uses his boot to choke Barry...backhand chop.
- Flynn pulls Horowitz out of the corner...punch, whip to the oppisite corner.
- Flynn does runs in and does one of those Savio Vega spinkicks that end you up outside of the ring, where he ends up outside the ring...only problem was, they picked a really bad camera angle to do it, and Larry and Tony had to go crazy over it, so anyone would think he actually hit the move.
- Flynn rolls back in, whips Horowitz into the ropes, clothesline. Pin, 2 count.
- Flynn waits for Barry to get back up, uppercut and a dropkick.
- As Flynn taunts Barry and talks to the ref, Randy "Pee Wee" Anderson, Barry hits Jerry with a low blow. Anderson is less than pleased.
- Flynn gets a punch quick to the head, and tries to lift up Horowitz for a runing powerslam
- But Barry reverses Flynn into reverse DDT position and gives him an elbow
- Horowitz whips Flynn to the corner, European Uppercut, snapmare takedown and a Northern Lights Suplex for 2.
- As both men get up, Barry goes for a dropkick. Misses.
- Flynn goes to the mat and puts Barry in a CODE RED! CODE RED!
- Oh, wait a minute, that's not Pittman...Cross-arm breaker, which causes Barry to tap.
- Seeing that brought back memories of when I first starting watching WCW, and Craig Pittman's push. The Code Red was not just unbeatable, but unbreakable! And look how it helped him!
- Sillver King vs Mike Sanders
- I could book Worldwide. All I need is a hat, and a bunch of little slips of paper.
- Lock up, King pushes Sanders into the corner. Clean break, but Silver King slaps Sanders in the face. Sanders pushes King down to the mat in retaliation.
- Sanders grabs King in a headlock, whips him into the ropes...shoulder takedown.
- Sanders grabs King in a h...aww, just read the last line agian...
- Sanders tries to whip King into the corner, but King reverses. Backhand chop, and we go to the opposite corner.
- Sanders moves, as King goes for a Stinger Splash...Sanders punches King
- But Silver King comes back with a low blow. Follow that with a snap suplex and a one count by Nick Patrick
- Silver King with a chin lock...after a pause, Sanders is pushed in to the corner.
- King tries for a chop, but that's stopped and reversed by Sanders. Whip to opposite corner, for a chop there.
- Sanders with a double underhook suplex and he tries for another whip back to the first corner
- Note to self: If ever start wrestling, don't whip a guy to the oppisite corner, and then whip him back. That's always a bad idea.
- Silver King hits Sanders with a superkick as he charges in
- But King misses a nice Asia Moonsault
- I guess you can't be fooled by his stocky physique
- Sanders with a kick on Silver King.
- Silver King fires back with a spin kick, which unfortunately misses.
- I don't think he was supposed to miss, because Sanders looked confused, hit King with a punch and went for a one handed cover...but not an arrogant one handed cover. 2 count.
- Sanders goes to the top...but Silver King
crotches him on the ropes.
- Silver King joins him, and goes for a Super 'rana, but Sanders pushes his to the mat.
- Sanders goes for the flying gut drop, but gets dropkicked in the gut on his way down by King.
- Sanders gets put up in the set up for Hall's Edge by King, but spins him around and just lets him go, like some sort of weird airplane spin.
- You know, before recently, I've never seen an airplane spin (or don't remember seeing one). In the last month, I've seen
- Sommersault drop by Silver King, and he goes for a pin. Uno, Dos, Tres.
- Renegade (w/ Marc Mero's WWF Music) vs Van Hammer
- Thought I flipped the channel when that music started playing...
- Van Hammer is not a hippie, but he is bowing to the fans. Whatever
- Both men lockup
- They trade some nice chain wrestling moves, with Hammer ending it with a body slam
- Hammer whips Renegade into the ropes
- Renegade reverses, and goes for a hiptoss
- Hammer blocks and gives Renegade a backbreaker
- Renegade rolls out to stall.
- As Renegade is rolling back in, Hammer rolls out, to taunt the camera. Nice.
- Renegade stomps Hammer on his way back in, 2 count
- Renegade whip, powerslam, run, big splash! This could be it!
- 2 count. Guess he's not really The Man Who Will Lead Hulkamania Into The 21st Century! anymore, not even on Worldwide.
- Renegade puts on a camel clutch... and we hear a Hammer Chant? Either that's dubbed or we got some really interesting fans.
- Renegade with a LOOOOOONG Camel Clutch. Must be worn out from the tough powerslam/splash back to back moves.
- Renegade lets go of the clutch, does a quick butt drop and reapplies. This is getting really bad.
- Renegade goes for another butt drop, but Hammer turns over this time and Renegade lands on Hammer's knees.
- Hammer with a clothesline...and another.
- Renegade somehow whips Hammer to the other corner, Handspirng Elbow (which ends up looking more like a Handspring Stinger Splash, but...)
- Hammer moves...slingshot suplex for 3!
- Lee Marshall with the WCW/nWo Magazine
- Lee talking about the Nitro Girls: 7 Greatest looking women ever assembled, greatest dancers ever assembled for a sporting event.
- Which bring in Alex Wright, who claims he's the greatest dancer...and better looking!
- I'll reserve comment on that statement
- He's coming to Nitro in Chicago to prove it. Yea. Bring Disco.
- Ultimo Dragon vs Rey Mysterio Jr.
- This match...this match makes all the Horowitz vs Flynn's, the Vincent/Super Calo's, all the crap, worthwhile.
- In case you haven't heard, the sheets say Ultimo is having major trouble with his left arm. He supposedly can't move it now, and even with the surgery he's going in for, there's not a good chance he'll ever easily move it again. Which means...well, if this is the last time I get to see Ultimo wrestle, he left looking real good.
- And, even with my great skills, please excuse me if this match doesn't seem to cohesive...it's tough to keep up.
- Rey with big knee brace on...Ultimo and Rey are both playing faces, of course.
- Lockup...Rey into corner...clean break by Ultimo
- Ultimo with an arm bar, Mysterio with a kip up to reverse the hold, but Ultimo reverses it back.
- Ultimo forces him down on the mat, lets go, and drops his knee on Ultimo's arm.
- Ultimo with a headlock, Mystrio breaks out.
- They circle each other...
- Ultimo and Mysterio have a great sequence, which I couldn't keep up with, but included Mysterio spinning between the ropes and ended with Ultimo being backdropped.
- Mysterio with an arm breaker
- Ultimo breaks through but reverses to a half Crab
- Ultimo turns it over and makes it a single leg grapevine
- Mysterio kicks out for a second, Ultimo reapplies, but Mysterio counters by chinlocking his head
- Ulitmo with a snapmare and a chinlock.
- Ultimo powerslam, 2 count by Charles Robinson.
- Ultimo with an arm bar.
- Ultimo hits a kick to the stomach, punch to the head, while still holding onto the arm bar.
- Rey breaks out with a kick, quick snap suplex.
- Rey with the Irish whip to the corner, flying head scissors and Ultimo rolls out
- Ultimo back in at the six count
- Mysterio kicks Ultimo in the corner, whip to the other corner
- Ulitmo comes back with a kick to the stomach, whip to the other corner, and a belly to back suplex for a 2 count.
- Mysterio whips Ultimo to the corner again, Ultimo catches him with a knee
- Ultimo grabs Mysterio and goes for the running Lyger BOMB!
- But Mysterio reverses it in mid run to a 'rana!
- Mysterio puts Ultimo on the turnbuckle, Rey goes up top, Super 'rana!
- But Ultimo rolls through! 1,2,3!!!!!!! Ultimo with the clean win!
- Awesome ending to a good match
- Next week, we get treated to Atlantis, Chris Adams and TPE. Until then, think about this:
- Recently, I realized that I knew most of the words to the TPE Entrance Song. Do you? Maybe I'll sing it next week.