WCW Saturday Night - Saturday, April 10, 1999
- Welcome to another addition of WCW Saturday Night. My name is Dan and I will be
standing in for Jesse this week. I won't spend much time on introduction. I've
been coming to DDT Digest for a little bit over a year now. When I wrote Bill asking if I
could volunteer to help with the page, he said he hadn't decided, but would I like to do
this? I said sure and here I am.
- Welcome to WCW Saturday Night. Looks like they had some trouble with the animation
for the new communicator symbol for WCW.
- You're hosts are Scott Hudson and Iron Mike Tenay. Of course since it's the
Saturday before a PPV they open up with that and the ramifications of the new main event.
- Match #1 Rick Steiner vs Fit Finlay
- I don't think we're going to see too much technical wrestling in this match.
- Steiner takes a cue from Hogan and wants to whip Finlay with his weight belt.
- Let's just establish that I don't like Scott Steiner and I REALLY hate Rick
- Finlay sneaks in while Steiner argues with Randy "Pee-Wee" Anderson and
forearms Steiner to the back.
- Finlay with punches and kicks followed by an Irish Whip to the corner.
- Corner charge and Finlay munches on some boot.
- Irish Whip from Steiner and and a Steinerline from Rick.
- Rick chokes Finlay in the ropes.
- Eye rake from Finlay followed by a European Uppercut.
- Short arm Clothesline from Finlay and a cover for two.
- Finlay moves to a Reverse Chinlock on Steiner.
- Finlay with a Kneedrop back to the Chinlock.
- Finlay with an elbow to the shoulder and chucks Steiner out of the ring.
- Finlay throws Steiner into the ring post from a hammerlock my grandmother could have
set up faster.
- Steiner with a shot to the gut and whips Finlay into the guardrail.
- Finlay rolls back into the ring.
- Steiner pulls Finlay off the ropes by his legs.
- Thumb to the eye from Finlay.
- Finlay whips Steiner into the corner and once again misses the corner charge, hitting
the ring post in the process.
- Finlay grabs Steiner's leg and pulls him out of the ring. Steiner blocks Finlay's
punch, but Finlay doesn't block his.
- Steiner Hot-Shots Finlay on the guardrail and rolls him back in the ring.
- Finlay kicks Steiner as he comes back.
- Finlay whips Steiner into the ropes, goes for a Back Body Drop, Steiner kicks him in the
face to counter and DDTs him.
- Elbow Drop from Steiner for two.
- Steiner goes to the top rope. Looks like it's time for the SBOD.
- 1 . . .2 . . .3. This one is over.
- YOUR WINNER: Rick Steiner by pinfall following the Top Rope Bulldog.
- Steiner shows his mastery of the English language by barking into the camera.
- We see a replay of the video clip from the end of Nitro with the Macho Man's voice-over.
Everytime I see this thing I can't help but think about when Macho Man did the
voice of Rasslor on that episode of Dexter's Laboratory. "I could break your
body, but I couldn't break your spirit. WHOO YEAH!!!
- But I digress.
- Gene Mean plugs the PPV and says a few more inane things. I'm not sure...my brain
shuts down whenever I see the bald head and mustache.
- Hudson and Tenay talk about the 4-way dance at Spring Stampede and then move into
Nash/Goldberg and finally talk about Bret Hart and his shocking leaving of WCW.
- Replay of Bret Hart outsmarting Goldberg on Nitro. That can't be too hard he did
go to UGA after all. Go Jackets!!!
- In case you forgot in the last 5 minutes, we get another Spring Stampede promo.
- They show all of the history of Nash and Goldberg including from this last Nitro where
Goldberg says " The way I see that is . . . Merry Christmas, Goldberg."
Wouldn't he look like a real schmuck, maybe even a schlamiel, if he had said that
with a Star of David on his trunks, like he wanted?
- Match #2 Magic Norman Smiley vs. The Cat Ernest Miller with Sonny Onoo
- Smiley makes his way to the ring. The day-glo orange trunks have been substituted
for some, slightly, less loud red ones.
- His oppenent three time world karate champion the Cat.
- The Cat does a fairly good impersonation of the James' Brown slink as he comes to the
- Smiley does the bounce and teases the SMBU, but gets smacked out of it by the Cat.
- Smiley gets ticked and kicks the Cat in the legs a couple of times before hitting a
- Smiley whips the Cat to the ropes and sets up for a Powerslam, but the Cat blocks with a
rake to the eyes.
- Cat pushes Smiley to the corner as he takes his robe off.
- The Cat comes off the rope looking to hit a chop, but Smiley ducks and hits the Wiggling
- The Cat rolls outside to recover and the camera pans onto Smiley's face as he does the
- Cat talks smack to the crowd and throws Smiley in a Full Arm Drag and Twist.
- Hudson says the Cat is the three time Indiana Schoolgirl Cruiserweight champion or
something. That was funny.
- Smiley reverses with a Hip-Toss to an Arm Bar.
- The Cat kicks out of the Arm Bar and goes back to the Drag and Twist.
- Smiley counters with a Monkey Flip and Arm Bar, but the Cat was in the ropes.
- Kick to the throat and the Cat talks some more smack.
- Foot choke from the Cat on the ropes.
- Irish whip and an attempted Sunset Flip from Smiley, but the Cat counters with a punch.
- Reverse chinlock from the Cat.
- Smiley gets out with a Jawbreaker.
- Standing Sidekick from the Cat followed by another foot choke.
- The Cat sends Smiley out through the ropes HARD.
- Sonny Onoo with a stiff Roundhouse Kick to the chest of Smiley, followed by some boots.
- Smiley rolls back into the ring where he is greeted by the Cat and some Knife Edge
- The Cat has Smiley in the corner and he calls for Onoo, but the camera angle is wrong so
you can't see what is going on.
- The Cat Irish Whips Smiley, but is reversed in Onoo's knee in the corner.
- Roll-up by Smiley, but he lets up at two because Onoo is on the apron.
- Smiley gets up and grabs owner and pops him a good one.
- Smiley turns around to get met by a Jumping Side Kick to face.
- The Cat covers and 1 . . .2 . . .3. That's it.
- YOUR WINNER: The Cat via pinfall after a variation on the Feiliner.
- Not a bad match for Saturday Night except the Cat won.
- The Cat does the slink to celebrate his victory.
- Another Spring Stampede promo, wait I'm sorry...another infers a different one. The
same damn Spring Stampede promo they've been showing every two minutes for the whole
broadcast!! Okay, I feel better.
- Gene Mean plugs the hotline and talks about ECW's impeding bankruptcy. Geezus, Gene,
that was about three weeks ago. For a $1.69 a minutes, you could at least read some
stuff on the net and stay up to date.
- Match #3 La Cucharacha with Juventud Guerrara and Konnan versus my Patience.
- Juventud is out to speak for the new Largest of the Luchadores. Sorry La Parka.
- Says Disco Inferno . .er . . La Cucharacha is not Disco Inferno, but is his
- Says all Mexican people think Konnan's video sucks.
- I've never felt such a close fellowship with the Hispanic as I do right now.
- And that all Mexican people want to see the Disco Inferno kick Konnan's . . . . booty.
- I need to give my Hispanic friends a hug for all of this support of the common good.
- Uh oh, crappy rap music it can only mean one thing, Konnan is here to deliver the same
schtick that was tired this time last year.
- Konnan almost gets the quick win over my patience by saying all of his catchphrases.
- Why doesn't La Cucharacha jump Konnan while he's running through his spiel and that will
- Konnan is letting his girdle slip up above his tights again.
- I just realized that for the most part this is the same damn interview from Monday
night. If you want to here the rest of it read Wade's report.
- Looks like we have an impromptu match here, no ref.
- Please tell me that doesn't mean it's going to last longer than usual.
- Trading blows to start.
- A kick to the gut followed by a Swinging Neckbreaker from La Cucharacha.
- Cucharacha forgets and starts to dance until he remembers that he's not really Disco
- La Cucharacha with big stomps in the corner.
- Cucharacha goes for a charge to the corner and eats some boot.
- Punches from Konnan.
- Irish Whip and, oh no, the Crappy Rolling Clothesline of Death from Konnan.
- If any of you think that actually makes him hit harder please email me and
- Kick to the gut from Cucharacha.
- Cucharacha attempts an Irish Whip, but gets reversed so that Konnan can blow the spot
for the go behind.
- Konnan manages to hit an Elbow and a Stunner.
- Konnan takes off the mask to half reveal Disco's face, but he covers up.
- Juventud takes Disco out with his shirt covering his face.
- YOUR WINNER: My patience via Iron Will. Anytime I sit through an
entire Konnan segment it's impressive.
- My theory is when Disco Inferno can't save you, you STINK.
- The Spring Stampede promo yet again. Just think happy thoughts.
- Randy Savage promo again with little video clips for each of the combatants. I
actually like this promo, but knowing WCW I'll see it after tomorrow and won't like it
anymore after that.
- Replay of last week's bad main event which is apparently going to be this week's bad
- Match #4 Hugh Morrus and the Barbarian with Jimmy Hart vs Jerry Flynn and Meng.
- We have a brawl in the aisle as Flynn and Meng enter.
- This is going to be a falls count anywhere match.
- Already this is really hard to follow, but that's okay cause there isn't much real
- Meng and Morrus are no selling each other while the Barbarian beats on Flynn.
- Meng hits his stomp to the crotch on Morrus.
- My GOD!! Meng just sold a chop, maybe Hogan can watch and learn here.
- Barbarian sends Flynn into the rail.
- Morrus reverses a Meng Irish Whip into the corner and follows up with an Avalanche.
- Barbarian crotches Flynn on the Guardrail.
- Morrus with a big Vertical Suplex on Meng.
- Barbarian hits Flynn across the back with a chair and then chokes him with it.
- Back in the ring Morrus is getting a two count on Meng.
- Morrus kicks Meng and starts choking him.
- Flynn kicks Morrus away and starts working on him.
- Barbarian beats on Meng while in the corner we can see the SNORT Lightning
Feet of Jerry Flynn.
- Flynn Snapmares Morrus and catches him with a kneedrop.
- Flynn pulls the Barbarian off of Meng and holds him for some chops.
- The men switch back up.
- Flynn and Barbarian trade blows as Meng and Morrus do the same.
- Morrus sends Meng out and they start to double team Flynn.
- Morrus whips Flynn into the ropes and Back Body Drops him into a Barbarian Powerbomb.
- That was a nice spot.
- Meng breaks up the pin at two.
- Looks like they're moving to make this a normal tag match.
- Morrus spits on Meng to draw him into the ring.
- Morrus and Meng trade blows until Meng rakes the eyes and kicks him square in the nuts.
- On the outside Barbarian sends Flynn into the steps.
- Big Standing Dropkick from Meng.
- Jimmy Hart jumps on Meng to distract him for a Morrus dropkick.
- Barbarian is still working over Flynn on the outside.
- Hart tries to beat on Meng and gets thumped for the trouble.
- Meng kicks the Barbarian in the back of the head and Flynn sends him into the steps.
- Flynn covers on the outside. 1 . . .2 . . .3. And that's it.
- YOUR WINNER: Meng and Jerry Flynn via pinfall after a Kick to the head.
- Meng and Flynn are seen chasing Hart to the backstage area.
- Mean Gene plugs the PPV one more time and we fade out.
- Well that was a lot of fun. For all of you people out there, make sure you drop a
letter of appreciation to the guys that do this every week. From trying this for the
first time I can tell you it takes a ton more time than you think and is harder than it
The Good: Smiley vs The Cat was good except for the ending. I really like
Scott Hudson and Tenay, they do at least call the match.
The Bad: Konnan was on television which is just wrong. The Cat should not
be allowed to beat Smiley.
The Ugly: There were seven freakin' promos for the PPV in an hour show. I
know WCW wanted to get their money's worth out of these since they just booked all of the
big matches this past Monday, but that is pretty asinine.
- Hope you enjoyed this as much as I did. Y'all have a good one.