WCW Worldwide - Saturday, 7/31/99
- Hmm. You know what was weird this week?
- (You: You actually got your report in before Nitro?)
- There were people who actually mailed me to
complain about my (Short) report.
- I've finally reached the point in my 'net writing
career where people care enough about my writing
to get mad at me. I'm moved, I really am.
- But, in case you were really hurt by only finding
out the results days late, I'm a nice guy, here's
- Over on that
CRZ guy's site, Michael Mousseau is
doing a recap. And he NEEDS mail. Really.
- He gets mentioned mostly 'cause
he called this "his dream
job" which totally made my
- There's another, quick and dirty (read:
just results) recap over at RWIN
- And...I'm sure there's others. Sometimes
on the Mod,
and elsewhere. I just don't know.
- Gee, the wide-ranging competition we're
#1 over. Which makes no sense if you
haven't seen the right motto yet...keep
visiting till you do! :)
- Now that I got that out of my system...
- Just so I can get some more fun mail this week, I've got
a question for whoever manages to read this...why do
people like Shane Douglas so much?
- Admittedly, I haven't seen much of Shane...about
his last year in ECW, and some of the Dean stuff.
- I could have missed some of the stuff that makes
him so great.
- I did hear that his "Evolution of a
Franchise" interview upon return to ECW was
- But...elsewise, since I don't have a problem with
Ric Flair, there's nothing he's done that's make
me say he's good.
- So, I'm asking you, the reader...'xplain to me
what I'm missing here. Maybe I'll get it then.
- Um, perhaps I just, ya know, get to the show? It might
- Sting/Flair montage to open the show...
- Hey, Scott Hudson kicked Tony out on Worldwide too :)
- Actually, since he wasn't on Nitro, Tony decided to take a vacation.
- Larry's still there, though.
- Hudson says that Sting's name is the one on the paychecks now. I'd like to see that.
- Back to Nitro 7/19, Sting vs Flair.
- Charles Robinson and Sting have words.
- Oh, dang, I forget Eric was commentating during this. Mute.
- Clipped to Sting giving Flair a Superplex 'til Sid makes his presence felt.
- We start playing again, as Mickey Jay walks right into position to be Stinger Splashed.
- I want to see Eric powerbombed more often. Repeatedly, harder, and through more furniture.
- Mene Gene talks to Billy Kidman
- Kidman takes about what he does on the road.
- He goes to the beach a lot, it sounds like. If
you seen previous Kidman interviews, you know why
- They talk about Kidman teaming with Rey, and the
slight tension 'cause Rey's Cruiser champ.
BSing talking about
Kidman's babe magnet powers, they just finish the
interview before they crack up.
- I think there's a rule that they can do only one take on these things.
- And I'd bet that Gene and Kidman ran out of ideas on what to talk about quick
- Back to Nitro, for Hogan vs. Sid
- Larry "Two of the biggest men in the
- (Bad Joke alert. Skip next bullet, for your own safety.)
- Actually, Yoko's the two biggest men in the world.
- We get clips from both men, but about twice as long for Hogan. Why?
- Oh, 'cause Hogan has talk about Sid and Nash.
- They actually get to the match, with Sid working on the knee.
- Okay, you just hurt his knee, and he's limping around on it badly. If you're Sid, where do you kick him? Well, if your were really Sid, the chest.
- We skip to the end of the match, with the Big Boot that doesn't connect, and then the mass run-ins.
- Goldberg really didn't seem in a hurry to get to the ring. Just jogging peacefully.
- Next, "the return of Shane Douglas".
- While I'm in a commercial break, you can play multiple choice.
- Which group is greatest?
- People who saw Shane Douglas and remembered his last WCW Run
- People who saw Shane Douglas and knew of him in ECW
- People who saw Shane Douglas and said
"Hey, there's that Dean guy! Hope he
doesn't do the chalk board scratch
- We start with the lead-in match to Shane's return -
Hennig/Windham vs Benoit/Saturn
- We clip to late in the match...shortly before Saturn gets the hot tag.
- Wow, what a reaction to Shane.
- Actually, what reaction?
- Hudson, "The crowd was electric on Nitro for Shane Douglas' return."
- Larry "If you ask me, there's some hostilities building up in Mr. Douglas."
- You don't say, Shane Douglas in a bad mood?
- Road Wild card.
- Hogan vs Nash
- Savage vs Rodman
- Yea, that won't suck. Not at all.
- K-Dawg selling a shirt. I ain't buying. If you wanna it,
go to www.wcw.com. (Or
get some help.)
- Psicosis vs Vampiro
- PSI! Yeah!
- Well, I thought he might get to win, till I saw
ICP's newest bestest friend.
- Hope it works out better for him then it did for
both groups of ICP's WWF friends.
- Hudson and Tenay say that Vampiro and Psi have
fought before in Mexico, unlike Konnan and
- Vamp with a side kick, and a clothesline.
- Vamp puts Psi up top and hits a belly to belly
2nd rope superplex!
- Vampiro with a whip, reversals end with Psi
finished with a chop, clotheslined to the
outside, and tope on Vampiro.
- Topes are when you jump from the top
turnbuckle, instead of over the ropes
- Psi with a whip into the guardrail, then a 'rana
on the outside.
- Psi breaks the 10 count, then rolls Vampiro back
- Psi to the top...missile dropkick!
- Tenay and Hudson mention Vampiro's appearances on
WCW Live and the Internet buzz they've created.
- Hudson - "When people hear Vampiro's
going be on WCW Live, they buy computers
just to listen!"
- Psi with a corner whip, but the Psi(/Stinger)
- Vampiro half-tosses Psi in the middle of the
ring, then hits a spinning heel kick off the top
for a two count.
- Vampiro with evil stomps, and general crowd
- Vampiro with a waistlock, Psi with a reversal and
tries to use an inverted atomic drop to crotch
Vampiro on the ropes, but he doesn't get it on
the first lift and you can see Vampiro help the
second time. Oops.
- Psi with a missile dropkick while Vampiro was
still on the ropes. Vampiro lands on the apron,
but rolls in.
- Um...why'd they bother setting up (and
having problems) for that spot, to use
the same move Psi used earlier?
- I'd say some communication problem
('cause I'd more expect Psi to hit the
rope assisted Tijuana Jam then), but
Tenay and Hudson said they've fought
before, and they wouldn't lie to me.
- Eh, just odd.
- Vampiro reverses a whip, Psi and Vamp trade
reversals, ending with Vamp hitting a...Inverted
- Picture your normal Enzuigiri...then have
the receiver face the other way.
- Vampiro finishes it with a Vampiro Spike for 3.
- Your Winner: Vampiro
- Lash LaRoux vs The Cat (w/Sonny Onoo)
- Lash gets mic time? Making use of that Cajun accent
- Lash asks for his...James Brown Music?
- Ahh, the Cat's music plays, and Lash does his Cat
impersonation, throwing in the LaRoux split.
- The Cat runs out and jumps him. Stomp down by the Cat.
- What the heck, is the Cat a face? Or is this just like the Buff thing?
- Guess it is just like Buff's impersonation, 'cause the Cat's yelling at the fans.
- The Cat kicks, and then taunting the crowd.
- Whip, dropkick by Lash followed by an arm drag takedown
- And another for good luck.
- Well, why else do they always do two (or more) in a row?
- Miller rolls out to consult with Sonny.
- Lash gets too close to the ropes for no particular reason and gets Stun Gunned.
- Let's count the Cat's moves. That'll be one.
- Wow, the Cat can do an armbar, too! #2 That's some tough stuff.
- The Cat hits a frontkick on Lash, knocking him down.
- The Cat whips, but Lash with a Sunset Flip for 2.
- The Cat with a side kick on Lash. Body Slam! #3.
- The Cat hits a....moonwalk elbow. Eh, I'll count that as four.
- The Cat throws Lash out of the ring, and then whips him into the guardrails
- Lash reverses The Cat and throws him into the guardrails.
- Lash throws The Cat in, and then something goes wrong, 'cause Lash goes for a shoulder ram through the ropes and The Cat ain't even close.
- Lash decides just to get in the ring, and the Cat manages to put him a one bad abdominal stretch.
- Technically, that's a move and #5, but...
- The Cat lets go, and hits a kick, just to vary things up.
- Now the abdominal stretch again, better this
time, just so The Cat can grab the ropes to
remind everyone that he's not a nice guy.
- Another inside kick.
- You ever wonder...if the Cat's a three
time world Kickboxing/Karate/whatever
World Champ, why isn't he doing that,
instead of wrestling?
- The Cat brings back the abdominal stretch one
last time, just so we can finish the spot with
him getting caught holding on the ropes by the
- Sonny should get fined for that.
- Good heel managers distract the ref so
the Cat can get that all important
- Lash with a hiptoss out of the stretch as the Cat
was arguing with the ref.
- Lash batters the Cat with various kicks and
punches, landing the Cat in the corner...various kicks and punches 'til Miller is stuck in the corner.
- Lash with the Ten Punch Count-A-Long, but it only
makes 8, as the Cat drops him face first on the
- The Cat fires of some kicks, but Lash grabs a leg and tries for a either a knee breaker or an
- Someone screwed up.
- You can guess who I think did...
- Lash with his Northern Lights Powerslam, 2 count,
and he goes after Sonny.
- Sonny evilly stepped onto the apron, on
the far side of the ring, so Lash had to
do something, ya see.
- Sonny backs off when Lash comes his way, so
- Bad move, as The Cat sneaks up behind and hits
the kinda spinning side kick for the 3 count.
- Your Winner: The Cat.
- After doing his James Brown impersonation, the
Cat gets some dance time himself.
- Mene Gene with Hugh Morrus
- Gene says Morrus sent a therapist into therapy.
- Morrus tries the not-all-there act. Not as good as Al Snow, but he's working on it.
- Gene does his Morrus impersonation (is this a theme tonight?) and they both half crack up as the interview ends.