House Show Results from Rockford, IL, Sunday, August 23rd, 1998
House Show Results from Rockford, IL, Sunday, August 23rd, 1998
From Andy hailing from Evanston, IL
- Hi, after seeing the results from the Green Bay show last night and knowing that WCW likes to duplicate house shows occurring on consecutive nights, I had serious thoughts about not going tonight. But, I decided to take my chances anyway, and with pretty nice seats I felt the chance would be worth it....I was wrong.
- First of all, let's look at the card given to me as I entered the arena: Nash/Giant, Luger/Hall, Konan/Hennig, Saturn/Raven, Chavo/Eddie, Mongo/Stevie Ray, Chris Adams/Finlay, Hugh Morrus/Barry Darsow.
- Now here's what actually occurred:
- Match #1: Horace vs. Barry Darsow: Horace was booed heavily upon entering the ring...until his opponent Barry Darsow showed up. Immediately after being announced, Darsow once again (as he did last night) told the ring announcer to stress he was from Minnesota, that the Vikings would win the Super Bowl, and that the Bears suck. Now, in GB this may draw some heat, but Illinois.....PLEASE! Everyone from the entire state knows the Bears suck more that Monica Lewinsky....Most of the crowd just laughed at Darsow. Overall, this matched sucked, with both guys moving in slow motion. BD tried to leave the ring a couple of times, and Horace grabbed the mic and told him to get back in, drawing some applause. Horace won the match with his full nelson slam, of which he lifted BD about a 1/2 off the ground, that is with BD jumping into the move. Best part of the match was the quiet Demolition chant that you could here as BD came to the ring.
- Match #2: Wrath vs. Kanyon: Kanyon came out first, and got a nice hand from the crowd. Wrath (who has new tights since the last time we've seen him) came up behind Kanyon and told him he's proud of his former partner even though they've split up, and that he's going to leave the ring now because he doesn't want to take up too much of Kanyon's time. Kanyon turns around, and Wrath attacks from behind...didn't see that one coming :). This match also sucked, and even Kanyon once again looked kind of out of it. Wrath won with a pin following some kind of powerslam.
- Match #3: At this point, you could tell the crowd was getting pissed. Two terrible matches. So, instead of sending out someone who the crowd gives a remote crap about, we get.....Mike Enos! Now, Mike attempts to draw some heat from the crowd, but that doesn't work when nobody knows who the hell you are! People sat around curious to see who is opponent was, but when CHRIS ADAMS came out, you would've thought they were giving away free t-shirts outside, because just about 1/2 the arena got up and left. I almost felt sorry for Adams and Enos. After a terrible match that had a lot of stalling, Adams hit the superkick, but ENOS KICKED OUT! Enos then hit a powerslam and won the match, and ref Charles Robinson almost looked surprised at the outcome. Another note: Hennig was out "Scouting" this match from the locker room area - more on this later.
- Match #4: Well, we'd better bring out SOMEONE who has some interest to the wrestling fan. Let's play Booker T's music, but bring out his fat, out-of-shape brother. Then, let's play the Horseman theme as Mongo enters the ring. Mongo probably got the second biggest pop of the night, being a former Chicago Bear. More stalling in this match, with Stevie Ray telling everyone first that he's sick of former football players entering "his" sport. Then, he told the ref the fans were being too loud and that if they didn't shut up he was leaving. I actually stood up and yelled at the top of my lungs, figuring intermission was only a couple minutes away. Mongo attempted to get the crowd into it by saying that Rockford was closer to Chicago than Green Bay...so the man's a geography major as well! Anyway, rather than waste time discussing these two athletes, read the Green Bay report. Same damn thing happens. Although, it looked like Stevie Ray's "Blackjack" was a hairbrush tonight...I hate in when you get clocked with someone else's brush!
- Intermission: Ring announcer says more matches after break, featuring Hennig, Giant, Nash, Luger, a couple of others, and....Hall! Now, if the guy isn't going to show, don't say he still is at halftime - you're just asking for trouble, right?
- Match #5: Chris Jericho's music starts up and he makes an appearance to the ring. Goes on about how Rockford is too small of a town for him to wrestle in, since he's a big-name player. Blah, blah, blah. Says no one in the arena can beat him, and then Dean Malenko shows up out of nowhere. Nice match, typical DM-CJ moves. Malenko wins after reversing out of the Liontamer with the Cloverleaf. Afterwards, it's suddenly announced as a non-title match, so CJ retains the title.
- Match #6: Hennig gets to the ring, and says the same schtick as last night regarding Hall's absence. Announces that Mike ENOS will take Hall's place agains K-Dawg and if he wins he's nWo Hollywood. So I guess that explains why Enos got the pin earlier in the evening...Konnan enters with some weird rap shit, and not the Wolfpac theme. Says Rockford is Wolfpac country, then says and I quote: "I got something to tell ya, and if you don't like it....SUCK IT!" So now I'm really confused where I'm at....WWF? Says Rockford is bowdy, bowdy, and you know the rest....A short match, with Konnan getting Enos in the Tequila Sunrise when Hennig attacks him. It's 2 on 1 until........
- Match #7: Lex Luger comes on for the save.....After 5 mins of stalling, the announcer says that a tag match has been signed for the next match. However, as the match is about to begin.......
The Giant enters the ring, making it a handicap match until.......
Nash comes in, and we have a six man tag. As for the wrestling, Luger got the crap beat out of him, Nash got the hot tag, then Luger came back in and racked Enos for the victory. Konnan was barely involved in the match. During the match, the Giant yelled to a guy near me, "Shut up you fat piece of shit." Now, isn't that the pot calling the kettle black? He also shook his large ass several times in the direction of my section....Now, if there isn't anything more unpleasant than a 500 lb. guy shaking his 350 lb. ass? I don't think so. After the match ended, the Wolfpac got on the corners of the ring and gave their sign, Nash said Rockford was Wolfpac country, and thanked the crowd.
- Overall, this card sucked. Whoever booked the first half should be shot......better yet, castrated and then forced to watch Hacksaw Jim Duggan's greatest matches....in slow motion. I'm going to Nitro tomorrow, the Saturday Night Tapings on Tuesday, and Thunder on Wednesday, so hopefully things will improve!